At the end of every winter, my brain automatically deletes all memory of the previous 3 month’s temperatures. So when winter comes back around, I’m always taken by surprise, as if I’ve never lived through frigid temps a day in my life!
When the temp dips, I, like everyone else, turns to soup.
And while I enjoy hearty soups with grains or noodles, I am a complete sucker for a good pureed soup. It must be its silky sexiness that I love the most. The way it glides over your tongue, bursting with flavor…
*ahem* Sorry, got lost for a moment there! Focus, focus.
Green soups are my favorite way of getting nutrients, without having to slurp down a green smoothie when the weather is uninviting.
Super Green Soup
Prep Time: 10
Cook Time: 20
Keywords: blender appetizer entree soup/stew gluten-free low-carb low-sodium soy-free sugar-free vegan vegetarian Vegetable winter
Ingredients (serves 2-4)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2-4 cloves garlic, chopped (amount is preference based)
- 3 medium zucchini, roughly chopped, skins on
- 3 cups chopped greens of choice EXCEPT mustard greens
- 3 cups broth or stock of choice
- 2 tbsp regular or vegan sour cream OR same amount of strained plain (“greek”) yogurt
- salt and pepper
- Sweat onion and garlic in oil with a small pinch of salt for a few minutes till softened.
- Add the garlic, and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes, making sure the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Add in the zucchini chunks and broth. Bring to a simmer.
- When it starts to simmer, add in your chopped greens and continue to cook till the zucchini and greens are tender, about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and puree in batches to desired consistency.
- Pour pureed soup back into the pot, stir in the sour cream or yogurt.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper to preference.
- Ladle into bowls and enjoy!
Parsley garnish is totally optional, but I needed a focal point in all that green goodness. Two bowls of this deliciousness and I was warm inside and out. Give it a try!